This color change is known as "seasoning." It functions the same as cast iron, which is actually initially silver (same as mild steel like the Flat Top) until seasoned. As you continue to cook on the Flat Top, it will grow darker, which is what you want. This darker color creates a non-stick surface while also building flavor. To clarify: Your Flat Top isn't permanently dirty or stained or burned. A darker Steelmade USA Flat Top Grill means it will infuse dishes with ample flavor and won't cause food to stick.
Articles in this section
- About Steelmade Pre-Seasoning
- Removing Your Seasoning Layer
- Maximum Custom Flat Top Sizing
- PRO Series Cosmetic Blemishes
- Dimensions - Standard Flat Top for 30" Ranges
- Surface Mark vs. Scratch
- Can the Flat Top Slim or Jr. sizes be used on glass ceramic cooktops?
- What is the difference between a Range and a Cooktop?
- How to measure for a custom Flat Top
- I have a smooth glass ceramic stove - will the Flat Top work on it?